WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED?
We are a foster-based organization and as such, we do not have an actual physical location with hours of operation. We hold our adoption event the second Saturday of every month in Columbus, Ohio. This location is chosen as we have foster homes and approved adopters throughout Ohio and this is a central location in the state.
DO YOU HAVE ANY QUICK TIPS FOR THE ADOPTION PROCESS?
1. Fully complete an application early even if you are not looking to adopt at this moment or there are no dogs that you think are a good match for you. Applications can take up to 2 weeks to process and we do not hold any dogs. Your application will be good for 6 months assuming you have not moved or added another person or animal to your home. If you have, you can recomplete the application with the updates!
2. Make sure all pets in your home are spayed/neutered, up-to-date on vaccines and on heartworm prevention. Please contact us if there are extenuating circumstances for your dog.
3. Give your veterinarian’s office and/or landlord, if applicable, a heads up that we will be calling. If you rent, make sure that there are no breed restrictions for Dobermans. Your application cannot move forward until we speak to all the required individuals.
DO YOU HAVE APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS?
▪ We are currently accepting applications in most of Ohio as well as surrounding states near the Ohio border. This limited area is due to our requirement for one of our experienced volunteers to perform a home visit.
▪ Generally it is our policy to not place a dog in a family with children under the age of eight. Previously owning a Dobe or currently having a Dobe or other large breed dog in the home are examples that might result in exceptions to our policy. We do consider each application on a case-by-case basis.
▪ The following are required for all dogs in the home:
a. Your current pets must be spayed or neutered unless there are extenuating circumstances.
b. Your pets must be up to date on shots. Health exceptions will be verified and discussed with your vet.
c. Your pets must be on heartworm preventative. Although not required, flea/tick preventative is strongly encouraged.
d. Your pet should receive annual health checks with your veterinarian.
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE A FENCE?
Although not required, a physical fence is always the safest and most desirable. If you have an underground/invisible type fence or no fence, you will not necessarily be approved for all dogs. If we determine a physical fence is needed for a particular dog and you do not have one, we will help you find another dog that will be a better fit for your home. Our top priority is the safety and well being of our dogs.
HOW CAN I APPLY?
Visit our Adoption Process page to apply today!
I HAVE APPLIED, WHEN WILL I HEAR BACK FROM YOU?
Within 3 days of sending your application to us we will confirm by email that we have received it. If you do not hear from us, please call us at (614) 470-2851. Following that, our next step will be to contact your vet and/or landlord, if applicable. Many times we are waiting for these individuals to respond to our requests. To help move the process along, please reach out and let them know we will be in touch. We cannot move forward with any application until we speak to these individuals, if applicable. Additionally, we may have emailed you some follow up questions, so be on the lookout for any emails from us.
MY APPLICATION IS APPROVED, DOES THAT MEAN I GET TO ADOPT THE DOG I WANT? DO YOU HAVE PUPPIES?
Although we have approved you as an adopter, this does not mean that the cute face you fell in love with is yours. We are committed to finding the right match for you and the dog. Having our dogs in foster homes means we are able to learn so much about their needs and what type of home is best for them. Our top priority is their safety and happiness. Over the years we have found it is not uncommon for adopters to have a particular dog in mind, but when meeting the dog or talking with the foster parent, realize that this is not the right fit and happily adopt a different Dobe! We appreciate that you stay open minded during the adoption process and while attending our adoption event. We strongly encourage you to attend our monthly adoption event in Columbus even if it appears that we do not currently have a dog that is a good match for you. We try to keep our dog listings as up-to-date as possible, but adoptable dogs may be at our event that have not been posted.
Occasionally we have puppies in our rescue. These pups can range in age but most often they are between 5 and 11 months old. Many times people think they want to adopt a puppy unaware of the time, patience, and commitment required to raise a high energy, highly intelligent Doberman pup. We carefully screen applicants that are interested in a puppy and will contact you if we believe you, your home and your lifestyle will be a good match for one.
WHY WAS I DENIED?
Many of our dogs come from less fortunate situations and we are committed to carefully placing them into safe, stable and loving forever homes. To accomplish this goal we thoroughly screen all applicants. Hand Me Down Dobes reserves the right to deny any application at our discretion.
With that being said common reasons for denials can include but are not limited to:
▪ Current pets are not up to date on vaccinations and/or not on heartworm preventative.
▪ Current pet is not spayed/neutered without valid reason.
▪ Children under the age of eight living in the home.
▪ You live outside of our adoption area.
▪ Your landlord does not allow pets or has breed restrictions that include Dobermans.
HOW CAN WE MEET YOUR DOGS?
You must be willing to travel to Columbus, Ohio to meet our dogs at our monthly adoption event. We try to keep our dog listings as up-to-date as possible, but occasionally adoptable dogs will be at our event that are not posted. Less often one of our dogs is unable to be at our event due to unforeseen circumstances. Visitors are welcome but only approved adopters can adopt at our event. You may meet a dog and want to apply, but please know that there may already be approved applications in front of yours that are a good match for the dog.
WHAT ARE YOUR ADOPTION FEES?
▪ Purebred Doberman pups 12 months and younger - $450
▪ Purebred Dobes between 1 and 8 years old - $350
▪ Purebred Seniors 9 years and older - $250
Every adoptable dog in our rescue has received a comprehensive examination by a veterinarian, spay/neuter if not previously done, Rabies, DHLPP, Bordetella and Canine Influenza vaccinations if due, heartworm and fecal test and treated for any medical issues. The dog is placed on monthly preventative for fleas, ticks and heartworms. Our dogs are microchipped and the service is provided for the lifetime of the dog.
WHY DO I HAVE TO TAKE MY DOG TO TRAINING CLASSES? CAN I SEND MY DOG AWAY FOR TRAINING?
Dobermans are a very smart breed, thriving on physical and mental stimulation. Attending positive, reward based training classes with your dog starts you both out on the right foot and helps to from a strong bond between you and your new companion. This bond is very important which is why we do not accept sending your dog away for training. We require that you and your new Dobe enroll in a positive, reward-based training class within 2 months of adoption.
WE WERE APPROVED WITH YOUR ORGANIZATION BEFORE AND/OR ARE PRIOR ADOPTERS. DO WE NEED TO REAPPLY?
Your application will be good for 6 months assuming you have not moved or added another person or animal to your home. If you have, you can recomplete the application with the updates. If you applied or adopted more than 6 months ago, please complete a new application.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR A SERVICE DOG, CAN YOU HELP?
Although Dobermans are a working breed, we do not have the expertise to suggest a dog will meet the requirements of a Service Dog. We adopt out companions and family pets. Although we may think a dog appears to have potential for certain types of “work”, there is no way to say a dog is an actual candidate until it goes through training. It would be unfair to a dog to be adopted simply on the premise that it might become certified or be able to perform the service required of them.
I NEED TO GET RID OF MY DOG, CAN YOU HELP?
If you need to rehome your purebred Doberman, please email pictures, descriptions, and why you need to make this decision. We will contact you and discuss if we are able to help. If you adopted your dog from us and you can no longer care for him/her, please contact us AS SOON AS POSSIBLE per your contract that you signed at adoption. We will ALWAYS take the dog back. We make that commitment to every Dobe who comes into the HMDD family.